Friday, July 23, 2010

Rusko ft. Amber Coffman - "Hold On"

Maybe it’s just me, but Rusko seems like kind of an asshole. Actually, it’s definitely just me since Rusko is a musician who I have never met before and I shouldn’t be casting disparagements upon his character. Or, it’s because he makes not-very-serious music within the context of a genre (dubstep) that, as a general rule, takes itself VERY seriously. Or or, maybe it’s because he executive produced that God-awful M.I.A. album that is basically an insult to complex thought that I kind of feel obligated to defend, if only because Pitchfork hated it (I have very complex feelings!).

I guess my point is that despite all that (and the despite the fact that “It Takes A Muscle” is actually really, really good), I can’t stop listening to Rusko’s song “Hold On.” The song is almost a subversion of dubstep, employing the wonky sub-bass that typifies the genre and throwing it at your face at an alarming rate, layering some gurgly synths up on top of that, and taking Amber Coffman of the Dirty Projectors and employing her as an auxiliary house diva for the win. Feel free just to let the audio play and turn your Internet Attentions elsewhere, because that's what I did.



For the double win, peep the 12th Planet remix, which stretches the song out, giving it a Southern Rap stomp that would make Pimp C proud.



Speaking of which, Free Pimp C TI Gucci Weezy!

1 comment:

  1. David R.11:41 PM

    Hate to say it, but Rusko is now a fucking joke. I was a big fan of Rusko's after singles/EP's like: Babylon Vol.s 1 & 2, SNES Dub, & Mr. Chips / Hammertime. But "O.M.G." is AWFUL. I'm not sure who to even talk shit about for liking this album.

    The only saving grace for Rusko & Rusko'esque producers comes (no pun intended) from an interview I read with Ikonika on Fact (http://www.factmag.com/2010/03/29/ikonika-into-the-fire/3/). She basically talks about how she finds his style of music kind of offensive:

    “I dunno if I should say this, it’s pretty explicit, but from a girl’s point of view, whenever I hear really big wobble sets, I find it offensive. ‘Cause I’m picturing sex, and when these guys are playing big wobble sets it’s like coming on a girl’s face. And you’re reloading it, and you’re doing it again.”

    Now try listening to some Rusko, especially a track like "Woo Boost", and see if you can think of ANYTHING other than a poor girl getting hosed-down by Rusko's filthy bass wobble. Sorry, but I giggle everytime I listen to him now.

    Rusko, you squandered your talent and make me hate that I used to like you so much.

    Ikonika, you single-handedly gave me a reason to enjoy listening to Rusko again.

    p.s. It's not just you, Rusko probably is an asshole.

    p.p.s. "It Takes A Muscle" is actually a cover. M.I.A. ripped off Dutch synth-pop/reggae-lite band Spectral Display (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVX5EH4lvs)... why!?!?

    ReplyDelete