Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tonight's TNF and Big Freedia


'ello,

Since I'm the one using the blog most these days, I might as well plug my Thursday Night Feature happening TONIGHT (11/10/11) from 9-midnight. The show's going to highlight LGBTQ music...Yes, this is a really broad topic for a TNF which concerns me a little. I'm not going to get the nooks and crannies of queer history, but I'll at least try.

Speaking of queer, there's this somewhat new (at least outside of New Orleans) phenomenon called Sissy Bounce. It's essentially Bounce music (chanting, booty-hopping, dance music) behind the context of queer performers. One such performer who has been hitting WXYC hard as of late is New Orleans's very own Queen Diva and rotation alum Big Freedia. She'll be rocking The Casbah in Durham tomorrow (11/11/11). I know a good number of DJs, me included, who will be in attendance, so if youre down for some friction, I recommend you come with us.

And yeah, I'll be bringing that jam out tonight and probably bouncing my skinny ass on the turntables while it's playing.


Recap:
  • Queer music TNF tonight (9-midnight) followed coincidentally by my normal show (midnight-3 AM). Essentially, I'll be doing six ours of LGBT music.
  • BIG FREEDIA tomorrow. Casbah. GO!

3 comments:

  1. Big Freedia is FANTASTIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duke Performances in Durham, NC recently presented Big Freedia. Here another interesting article about her--from our blog, "The Thread":

    "Bounce, Big Freedia & the Activist Tradition": http://thethread.dukeperformances.duke.edu/2011/11/bounce-big-freedia-the-activist-tradition/

    ReplyDelete
  3. /\ That was a fantastic article. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete